Sunday 3 December 2017

Building a new 8 core PC in $100

Hi, recently my laptop broke down and I decided to build a cheap PC. My target was $100 for the CPU. At first, when I saw the prices of parts for a decent configuration I thought it won't be possible to achieve my target of $100, but when I saw some really great offers due to the Black Friday and Cyber Monday deal I thought it might be possible.

The best offers were from AMD and Micro Center. AMD was giving $40 rebate of few of its processors and Micro Center was giving additional discounts($30) if I bought a motherboard with a compatible processor. The total for this was just $42.54(inc tax) after the rebate, combo discount and $5 discount coupon I got from retailmenot.com website for Micro Center.

The case had a $15 rebate and again I used the $5 off coupon from retailmenot.com so the total for the case came out to be around $18 after tax.

The power supply had a $20 rebate and $2 on shipping so the total for the PSU came out to be $22.

Sadly there was no discounts or rebates on the RAM and it cost $31. Although If you search you can find RAM for a cheaper price. I went with this as it had good reviews.

For the hard drive, my laptop had 2 SSD so I took out one of them and put it into the PC. The good thing about Thermaltake case is that it has space to mount 2.5" harddrive. You can get these for around $40.

For keyboard and mouse, you can them for around $10-15. I got the Logitech K400 Plus for $19. 


Parts:

Motherboard - ASUS M5A78L-M/USB3
Processor - AMD Fx-8320E
Power supply - CORSAIR CX Series CX450
Case - Thermaltake V3 Black Edition
RAM - Patriot Signature 4GB DDR3


Price(before and after rebate):

The actual price of the parts was the following:
Motherboard - $55(Micro Center), $10 rebate and $30 off when buying with compatible processor
Processor - $75(Micro Center)  ,  $35 after rebate
Case - $35(Micro Center)  , $15 rebate
Power Supply - $40(Newegg) , $20 rebate
RAM - $31( No discount on this sadly)

Total price of all these parts - 35+75+55+40 + 31 = $205


Total after discounts and rebates = $42.54 + $17.65 + $22 +31 = $113.19

I know it's a little over $100, but I think with these specs it was a pretty good deal.


Rebate Process:

I have not received the money from the rebate yet but I have filled the form for all. It usually takes around 4-6 weeks. The easiest rebate process was for AMD. I just had to fill and form online and upload the bill. For the rest of the parts, I had to take printouts of the rebate forms and a copy of the invoice and mail it to them. The worst(as of now) was of Thermaltake. I had to attach the original UPC code from the box for which I had to cut that part of the box as the sticker was not coming of.



Benchmarks:

3D mark and PCMark 10 did not complete the benchmark and gave an error.
Novabench score - 909


1 comment:

  1. Thermaltake Divider 200 Chassis in UAE, Thermaltake TG Chassis in UAE, Micro Chassis in UAE
    https://gccgamers.com/thermaltake-divider.html
    Thermaltake Chassis in UAE, Safe Shopping Multiple Payment Options Express Delivery GCC Gamers Moneyback.
    1633498101604-15

    ReplyDelete